Pinpoint has brought to market the first privacy-safe, commercial applications of Psychometric AI-powered targeting and analytics.
Our Thinkalike® Engine transforms surface-level behaviors into individual-level models of dozens of standardized psychological traits that are deeply rooted in the human constitution. These are among the most powerful data known to science for predicting consumer perceptions and compelling your customers to action.
Pinpoint’s optimized Thinkalike® audiences extend beyond behavioral targeting methods, providing new forward-looking and privacy-safe conversion efficiencies.
EXPANSION OF TOTAL ADDRESSABLE MARKET
Our percentile-based audiences reveal the probability of engagement of users across the entire targeting universe. On average, 90% of users in a Pinpoint Thinkalike® audience are missed by an equivalent lookalike audience.
Pinpoint’s custom Thinkalike® audiences optimize around each of your campaigns based on who’s most likely to be interested in them. Audiences can optimize around your CRM data, website visitors, mobile ad IDs, and ad engagement.
For the first time, you’ll have dozens of granular psychological and demographic insights into who’s actually engaging with your brand – and why. Our Explainable AI allows your team to take personalization to the next level.
TARGET ACROSS PLATFORMS
You can run your Thinkalike® audiences across almost all major programmatic and social ad platforms, and you can also activate them on email, TV, and out-of-home channels.
Pinpoint’s custom audiences function like a psychological recommendation engine, allowing you to show greater numbers of people more diverse content that they’re interested in — before they discover your product. When consumers’ purchases match their personalities, they spend more money and they’re happier customers.
THE MORE TIME YOU SPEND RESEARCHING CONSUMER PERSONALITY AND BRAND PREFERENCE, THE GREATER THE LIKELIHOOD YOU’LL WANT TO USE THINKALIKE® TARGETING.
Pinpoint PSYCHOMETRICs FAQs
What is psychometrics?
Psychometrics is the science of reliably measuring, validating, and standardizing individual psychological differences, including personality traits that are deeply rooted in the human constitution (e.g., quantifying a person’s precise degree of Introversion versus Extroversion).
Why use psychometrics over other data?
Empirically derived psychometrics serve as a universal standard in people data that can compare people everywhere on the same traits. Psychometrics are among the best data known to science for predicting an individual’s future perceptions, preferences, and actions. Behavioral targeting, in contrast, uses surface-level behaviors to predict the same or similar behaviors in the past.
What’s the difference between psychographics and psychometrics?
Psychographics and “personas” have been used for targeting for many years in the industry. They’re typically invented marketing terms that bucket people together based on assumptions about their interests. Psychographic personas often combine demographics and stereotypes in a way that makes sense to our intuition but delivers weak performance, because they don’t capture the underlying psychological signal – which is the paramount challenge in making accurate and forward-looking people predictions. Our rigorous psychometric data is different from psychographic personas in the following ways:
- Our psychometrics measure each individual’s personality traits, modeling real individuals rather than categorizing people into assumptive buckets where everyone is supposedly the same. Empirically derived personality dimensions are normally distributed (like height, weight, and blood pressure), so we model them continuously as well. This answers questions like, “Exactly how Conscientious is one individual compared with another?”
- Unlike psychographic personas, our data are based on 70 years of psychometric research. Pinpoint models personality traits that are deeply rooted in the human constitution; this means we measure traits that have a substantial heritable component, which can be used to compare people everywhere. We use the statistical branch of psychometrics to clean and validate our data.
What do you mean by individual-level modeling?
Unlike any other targeting data, Pinpoint’s advanced Machine Learning algorithms model human individuality – the psychological traits that are the root cause of why each consumer has different perceptions and behaviors. Our Engine generates hundreds of millions of models that quantify each audience member’s psychological traits on continuous scales. This is done in an entirely data-driven way that involves no human assumptions. Pinpoint models each audience member in dozens of dimensions. And each user is like a combination lock with dozens of dials – totally unique. We have achieved the first true Segment of One, for each of our 240 million person-based IDs. Pinpoint’s algorithms evaluate each user on an individual basis for inclusion in your custom audience, based on interpretable traits, so that you’ll understand what’s driving customer interest.
What’s wrong with conventional targeting methods?
The problem with conventional targeting methods is that none of them has a way to measure psychological differences between individuals or to compare audience members in a standardized, universal, and interpretable way.
Publisher-based targeting: Running ads on specific publishers makes assumptions about content and context, averaging together groups of individuals who are psychologically very diverse.
Behavioral retargeting: This type of targeting is quite effective, though there are some important drawbacks:
- Targets only a tiny part of your full market
- Predicts the past
- Reaches people after they’ve already formed important opinions
- Retargets people incessantly
Psychographic personas: These combinations of demographics and stereotypes sort psychologically diverse people into enormous buckets. These buckets incorrectly assume that everyone inside of them is exactly the same and interchangeable.
In contrast with these conventional targeting segments, Pinpoint models individual-level psychological differences. Working directly with this signal gives you a vital advantage, because at the end of the day, ad targeting is a psychological prediction. Assumptive marketing is inefficient. And even A/B testing merely provides a slightly better way to test assumptions about group averages. Playing these guessing games while other marketers use psychometric targeting is like playing chess against a supercomputer. No wonder the world’s most successful marketers put the supercomputer on their team.
What’s the difference between a Thinkalike® and a lookalike audience?
Lookalike models function like behavioral recommendation engines. You’ve probably experienced one of these if you’ve ever been recommended a film that’s very similar to one that you’ve just watched, after you’re no longer interested. This happens because lookalike models take in surface-level behavioral data, and then they find other people who have similar past behaviors. This type of targeting is very literal, context-specific, and inherently backward looking.
Pinpoint’s Thinkalike® audiences, in contrast, are psychological recommendation engines. They make forward-looking predictions based on real interest and psychological signal. So now you can reach greater numbers of people with more diverse content that they’re highly prone to be interested in – before the interest passes.
A behavioral recommendation engine makes people feel as though they’re being tracked and followed around by your brand. A psychological one, in contrast, is privacy safe and also translates into better personalization.
Unlike lookalike audiences, Pinpoint’s Thinkalike audiences are also interpretable, so you can know exactly why people are engaging and why they’re not. You can now answer questions like:
- “Who exactly is churning and why?”
- “What key groups are underrepresented on our website, and how can we use Pinpoint to intelligently increase our market share?”
- “How can we better understand and leverage the diversity amongst converted customers in the same category?”
How can Pinpoint maintain user privacy?
Pinpoint leads the field in best practices for user privacy. Please read our information about privacy here.
Information about Privacy
Pinpoint provides the industry’s first privacy-safe psychometrics for our partners and their users:
- Our patent-pending modeling method is the only technology that can generate individual-level psychometric models of digital populations with complete user pseudonymization.
- We use only pseudonymous user IDs; psychometric data are not linked to actual personally identifiable real names
- Therefore, we do not ingest any data from social media.
- Our psychometric models remain on our cloud-based platform. We do not share user-level psychometric models with partners, customers, or any other third party; rather, we use these models internally to optimize audiences and to generate aggregate insights.